Behind the Curve

It’s been a long time since I’ve had the notion to delve deeply into the world of anime again, and now that I’m timidly taking the plunge, boy do I feel like I’ve missed a lot.

I only recently discovered interesting shows like Star Driver, No. 6, and The Mystic Archives of Dantalian (admittedly only 1 episode in). I managed to plow through all 3 episodes (or what seemed like 3) of Deadman Wonderland recently, and I’ve been taking bites out of Blue Exorcist, Hanasaku Iroha, and A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives. Along with those, I’ve been watching the living hell out of One Piece and the occasional random episode off of Netflix.

[I’ll save thoughts on the aforementioned anime for a later post.]

But honestly, these days I have no idea what is going on in the anime world. I’m about 2.5 years behind in everything that’s come out, what was good and what wasn’t….hell, I JUST finished watching Soul Eater (which I used to blog when it was coming out years ago) last month.

So…what have I missed?

1. otou-san says:

1. Who are you and how did you get here?

2. Madoka. If you missed one thing in 2½ years, that was probably The Thing.

That and, maybe the Haruhi movie. Star Driver kicked a pretty serious amount of ass, but it sounds like you found that already.

2. digital boy says:

As for what you missed, Madoka was certainly The Thing though my choice for the show of the year so far is the just-ended Steins;Gate. Tiger and Bunny is pretty great too, Hanasaku Iroha is GL’s favorite, and Dantalian is my favorite thing to watch weekly, but you’re already on that.

If you want a serious 2010 retrospective, here you go: http://myswordisunbelievablydull.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/2010-anime-review/

3. bitmap says:

Tatami Galaxy is a show that, while it won’t be cited as a Big Thing, is one of the few shows I would highly recommend from the past 2.5 years. Also, the second season of K-On!!

• digital boy says:

Don’t cross it out man, wear it proud. K-On!! is my favorite anime, no shame!

• bitmap says:

Well yeah, it’s no big secret that I fucking love K-On, but at this point, it feels like I’m preaching to the moe choir.

…which would be an excellent concept for a show, I feel.

Oh, also, Katanagatari was pretty excellent. Although I think it’ll be a while until I’d consider rewatching it.

• digital boy says:

the fact that K-On!! is in GL’s top 10 means there are people out there worth being preached to.

In response to the rest of that comment, fuck Katanagatari.

I liked Katanagatari myself, although more for the look than anything else perhaps… if you’re gonna go with a Nisioisin anime, Bakemonogatari would be my choice.

Actually, that fits too. Bakemonogatari, go for it.

EDIT: now that the theatrical and TV sequels are announced, that’s an even better idea.

Tatami was great. Never a shortage of great visuals, plus it was funny and Akashi-saaaaaaaan~

The first person who calls this anime the “p-word” is banned for life from this blog.

4. Majimak says:

Being removed from the anime blogging world for such a long time will at least make you feel behind, regardless of what you’re watching. As for the recommendations, I’ll be sure to look them up after work today.

5. kadian1364 says:

Hello mysterious person who somehow managed to hijack this blog. I’m always willing to make a few recommendations to a fellow fan.

Madoka, Tatami Galaxy, and Bakemonogatari have been mentioned before and rightfully so, since they are each stand out TV series and relevant to current fandom discussion.

Steins;Gate is about a group of misfit teens acting as “mad scientists” who accidentally stumble upon a time-warping scientific discovery. The show has been the hot topic as of late, and finished just this week.

If you enjoy a good shounen title, you owe it to yourself to see Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It’s a retelling of and the perfect complement to the first Fullmetal Alchemist, featuring a tight, exciting plot, deliriously good action scenes, and a satisfying conclusion to the brothers’ epic journey.

Anime doesn’t often explore the horror genre often, so good examples are rare to come by, which makes Shiki such a worthwhile series. It takes stock tropes of the horror genre – a secluded rural village, a mysterious epidemic, traditional horror monsters traits – and boils them down to the essentials. Examinations of paranoia, xenophobia, and man’s cruelty to man are what make this story truly frightening.

On the movie front, Summer Wars is a fun story that deftly ties together concepts of a modern world-wide online community and the rustic, traditional values of family bonds. Imaginative and heart-warming, it shows that family-friendly doesn’t have to mean patronizing or watered-down.

Finally there’s Redline, an explosive racing movie that this blog recently talked about. The polar opposite of everything Summer Wars stands for, it’s a raunchy, kinetic kick to the balls that is 100 minutes of pure animation spectacle.

Have at it!

6. Dliessmgg says:

Everything Shinbo made, especially Madoka and Bakemonogatari.