Sorry, Noe: I am against the glorification of the crazy in principle

Direct quote from Author, whom I hate to invoke twice in under a week, but the occasion of agreeing with him (in this one important detail, if not in overall message) was too great. Sorry Ryan, Shin, et al.

Witness my True Tears.

1. digiboy says:

Lolikit should be on his way any moment now.

I still haven’t sorted out what I think about this series, but I think anything lolikit says about it, I can point and say “what he said.” I considered rewatching it once or twice because I know it was good and I love the director, but I really just can’t be bothered—it’s sort of like Nana where a part of my head says “that was great” and the other says “never watch that bullshit again, ever.”

Not sure what part specifically you found to be bullshit. I’ve heard a lot of people with reasonable complaints about said bullshit, although I didn’t feel it myself. I think raising the bar for realistic character interactions left the way open for the less-real, more “cartoony” portions to be picked on. But even those, to me, seemed more engaging than the usual.

2. Martin says:

S’funny, I remember writing about how much Noe’s character didn’t appeal to me at the time, but I can’t for the life of me remember exactly why I found her personality so offputting. My current view on that sort of person is “meh, she’s kooky and eccentric…but so what?” That strong negative reaction I had towards her behaviour is completely gone now. Most odd.

Is it because I’ve seen and read more similar stories (I wouldn’t have thought I’ve seen that many, really) or have I become more of a misanthrope who can’t be bothered to get riled up over ‘crazy’ girls any more? Watching the show again now might be an interesting experiment because I’m now wondering how and why my own stance on such things has changed so much.

I’m curious myself as to what I might think, but it’s licensed over here and tbh I don’t feel that it’s worth the money they want for it.

What exactly is so off-putting about her… it is indeed a tricky question but it gets to the heart of what I feel one of the strengths of True Tears was. She was a more complex character than is expected of anime love interests, especially secondary ones, so to say that her entire personality was either “love it” or “hate it” really oversimplifies things. And your brain, so used to anime, is trying to simplify 😛

I don’t think it makes you misanthropic or anything, though. See reply to N below for a little more…

3. schneider says:

…THE TRUE TEARS OF TIME

4. Hogart says:

Meh.. she’s got nothing on Minori. Noe was just there to give us a relatively likable character to feel sorry for. Heartstrings needed to be pulled or the show might as well have been called “True Idiots”.

What was Minori, then? Sure, everyone liked her super-fun-time coverup face, but once it was revealed that she was just a regular person hiding a lot of unpleasant feelings, I thought she ended up the same way — a likably character to feel sorry for.

As for her being more crazy, I’m not sure I’m feeling that; she was more of a normal person with normal feelings who covered it up by trying to look like a superhero of positivity.

5. omo says:

I think noe is much more interesting than minori. but all the more the great division of opinion continues for TT’s ending.

Also I agree with otou. Befriend crazies, but don’t end up with them.

Yeah, division of opinion indeed, as evidenced by the fact that people still care enough to write some borderline-serious commentary on a post like this.

But rather than a harem or multi-path story, TT felt to me like a single road that always led to Hiromi, just with a few distractions along the way. If that makes any sense.

6. Hogart says:

I won’t argue about “more interesting”, because that’s purely subjective. I meant “more crazy”.

7. TheBigN says:

Well otou-san, how was she crazy to you? 😛

This is like asking Richard Dawkins to prove that god doesn’t exist. I’m afraid the burden’s on you. 😛 And of course, neither of us are shrinks qualified to make that assessment but I’ll try to answer…

To make a long story even longer, here’s something I’m semi-fond of telling people. I actually dated a girl for quite some time who Noe reminded me of pretty strongly. Now, that’s a credit to (a) the writing of True Tears, that she could evoke a real person, and (b) her likability, that she’d evoke a real person who I actually liked.

I suppose, at the end of the day, “crazy” might be going a half-step too far. Maybe. But depressed, attention-seeking, suffering from crippling lack of self-esteem, all of those seem pretty apt. Noe obviously wasn’t so delusional that she thought she’d fly out of the tree, and she probably wasn’t so depressed that she truly intended to kill herself, either. But she did spend a lot of time on activities that seemed to be crying out to Shinichirou just how “interesting” or “deep” she was, when really more of her brain cells were spent on making it known than on actually being interesting.

There’s probably a deep need for attention in there somewhere (I forget the story with their parents but they weren’t really in the picture), probably triggered by abandonment or abuse. Noe taking on Shinichirou as a “project” really had nothing to do with taking care of him and everything to do with outwardly convincing both of them that she didn’t need to be taken care of herself, all the while basically broadcasting to him that she did have problems, probably hoping he’d save her from them.

None of that adds up to someone you’d want to date for too long, although you have to wonder how she’d be in bed, if she’d be a crazy tiger or if she’d just make chicken noises the whole time.

That’s just the stuff that comes to mind now, maybe a re-watch would trigger some of the more concrete thoughts I can remember having at the time.

8. jpmeyer says: